Switzerland is one of the best places to road trip. You get to see lakes and beautiful mountain peaks as you pass the towns and cities. The lovely natural scenery and vintage villages are not also left out. Two weeks is a lot of time to take in all the beauties and visit all or some of the places mentioned in this post.
To have a successful and fun road trip, it is necessary to know the best places to stop and the sights to see. Also, you will need important travel materials to make your driving seamless.
DRIVING TIPS WITHIN SWITZERLAND
- Age Restriction- only those who are 18 years and above are allowed to drive in Switzerland.
- Speed Limit- The speed limit for motorways is 120Kph, while the highways are 100Kph. In the city, it is 50Kph, and 30Kph in the residential areas. Make sure to abide by these rules as speed tickets are very costly.
- Gas Stations- Fortunately, there are everywhere so you never have to run out of gas while travelling. Also, these gas stations are all self-service.
- Traffic- Overall, the traffic is not heavy asides from places like Geneva, Lucerne, or Zurich.
- Parking- this can be a little bit tricky. Before setting out on this trip, you should be aware of where exactly to park and what the coloured parking spots mean. Also, a parking disc is helpful. With respect to the colour of the zone in which you are using, you can park for a specified time at no cost. These parking discs can be gotten at police stations or tourist offices.
- A necessary rule all over the world is “Don’t drink and drive”. In Switzerland, the maximum blood alcohol content while behind the wheel is 0.05%. if you are caught with content higher than that, then it’s trouble.
- Safety Precautions- If you are going on this road trip with a child younger than 18 months, they should be placed in a child safety seat. In addition, every other person in the vehicle should ensure to wear a seatbelt. Also, it is a requirement to drive with your light on, irrespective of if it’s daytime or not.
- Lastly, while driving through the mountains, keep in mind that the roads are narrow, and it can get windy. When you get to these points, drive slowly, and pay close attention to the road.
WHERE TO STAY
You have two weeks to explore everywhere and because of this, you do not need a base. You can change locations every few nights and days. Finding accommodation can be quite difficult as opposed to how easy it is to discover the beauty and scenery. The difficulty could come from a place of your taste, your budget or your preference.
The city of Zurich is a beautiful place to explore. There is no boring moment as there are a lot of restaurants, activities, and cultures to check out. So, if you are in Zurich and you are looking for a place to stay, here are some;
- Oldtown Hostel Otter
- Movenpick Rege Nsdorf
- Baur Au Lac
This small city located on the shores of Lake Lucerne attracts a lot of tourists. No wonder it is in the top 3 most popular tourist destinations in Switzerland. You cannot afford to go on a road trip to Switzerland without visiting this city.
Lucerne is also a very romantic place and would be great if you are travelling with your partner. This doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy the place solo, or with friends and family. It’s a great place to see and explore.
Some comfortable places to stay in Lucerne are;
- Hotel Des Alpes
- Bell Park Hostel
This location can be quite high in prices in the summer and winter seasons. Yet, it is a ‘must-visit’ location. Interlaken is one of the most beautiful places you will see in Switzerland, and you cannot afford to miss out on the gorgeous scenery. It is home to stunning mountains, great towns, clear lakes, and a lot more.
Places to stay in Interlaken are;
- Grand Hotel Giessbach.
- Back Packers Villa
If you are going on this 2-weeks road trip during the winter, then Zermatt is a perfect destination to visit. It is a ski resort that offers so many amazing activities and events to explore.
Places to stay while in Zermatt:
- Rifflelalp Resort
- Sunstar Hotel
This location is another fascinating spot for lovebirds. On the other hand, it is a perfect place for everyone to visit. It is also a small city like Lucerne but home to many amazing places to spend quality time with family or friends.
Here are some places to stay while in Montreux;
- Eurotel Riviera
- Villa Toscane
- Hotel Eden Palace au Lac
This Italian-speaking part of Switzerland is beautiful beyond description. Not popularly mentioned like Zurich and the likes but it is a discovery. The people here also add to the beauty as they are friendly and lively. A visit to this location would spark up your road trip